Clean Energy Coalition, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, seeks a Program Director. This is a senior leadership position with responsibility for the management and oversight of program supervisors, project managers, project associates, part-time interns, and volunteers, as well as responsibility for the direct management of identified projects as needed.
This leader will assist team members in the development and implementation of building- and transportation- related clean energy projects and programs that serve a core statewide target market, as well as increasing opportunities outside of Michigan. These projects focus on reducing fossil fuel consumption by expanding the use of: alternative fuels, advanced vehicle technologies, non-motorized transportation alternatives, renewable energy technologies, energy efficient building retrofits and new construction projects, behavioral changes, innovative financing programs, as well as other ground-breaking initiatives.
The Program Director works closely with other leaders and staff under the guidance of the Executive Director. In addition to daily management activities, as a member of the management team for the organization, the Program Director will participate in the development of performance expectations and metrics for both his or her team and the organization, provide input to policy and strategic decisions, and consistently demonstrate the professional behaviors and attitude expected of a leader at Clean Energy Coalition.
• Bachelor’s (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) required in business administration, public administration, city and regional planning, economics, engineering, natural resource management, social work, or any related fields, or equivalent work experience in the above mentioned areas.
• Minimum of five years of project management experience.
• Minimum of five years of supervisory experience, however leadership potential will be considered in combination with experience provided there is a willingness to participate in management workshops or individual coaching.
• Demonstrated experience leading others and successful management of teams.
• Demonstrated ability to influence buyers and develop new revenue sources.
• Extremely detail-oriented.
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
• Self-starter, enthusiastic, innovative, and capable of meeting challenges and pressing deadlines.
• Team player with troubleshooting and multitasking skills.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills.
• Proven commitment to energy and environmental issues.
• Solid computer skills including proficiency in using basic Microsoft and/or similar software products such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, email, web, database applications, and capacity to work in Mac OS environment.
• Experience with environmental issues, alternative fuels, alternative vehicle technologies, energy efficiency, and/or renewable energy projects preferred.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Daily management of team members including:
o Direct supervision of program supervisors, project managers, project associates, part-time Interns, and volunteers. At a minimum, work is to include: weekly one-on-one goal setting and troubleshooting meetings, completion of annual performance reviews, quarterly review of annual goal accomplishment and progress with professional development plans, onboarding of new hires, and hiring and termination processes.
o Development and oversight of team goals and metrics.
o Anticipation, prevention, or resolution of problems and issues; communicating concerns as appropriate. o Providing technical support and communicating trends and new technologies.
o Mentoring and guiding staff in their personal and professional development.
• Work with the organization’s business development staff to identify and develop new business opportunities.
• Develop and implement new services and initiatives that drive revenue growth and mission accomplishment.
• Work with the leadership team to ensure project, team, and organizational performance metrics are achieved.
• Management of client relationships as needed.
• Support cross-functional staff (primarily executive director, business operations director, business development manager, and communications manager) as needed and required.
• Serve on the organization’s management team; contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy.
• Serve as a role model for teamwork and a culture of collaboration.
• Participate and lead the development and streamlining of processes for both team and organization.
• Identify and overcome regional barriers to adopting clean energy technologies.
• Develop and implement public awareness campaigns.
• Plan, market, and conduct clean energy trainings.
• Collect and calculate economic and environmental savings accrued, including cost-benefit analyses.
• Provide ongoing consultation to related organizations and industry leaders.
• Organize and write reports.
• Conduct ongoing evaluation of clean energy projects and make recommendations for improvements to the executive director and other staff.
• Contribute to written communication materials such as newsletter, website, presentations, grant proposals, and reports.
• Coordinate digital, print, and voice communications.
• Provide oversight, implementation, tracking, and reporting on grant activities as prescribed by each individual grant.
• Attend community forums, meetings, and events, and make individual and public presentations on Clean Energy Coalition’s mission, services, and needs when necessary.
• Act as a spokesperson for Clean Energy Coalition.
• Perform other duties as assigned and collaborate with other staff on work as needed.
Salary & Benefits
• Commensurate with experience.
• Competitive benefits package.
• This position is open until filled; no phone inquiries please.
• Clean Energy Coalition is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER committed to diversity and consideration of all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status.
• Qualified individuals should electronically submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references,addressed to: Sean Reed, Executive Director, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Include “Program Director” in the subject line.